Saturday, April 28, 2018

Week 4 Blog

The human body in art is a duo that many people often associate with each other. This week's top was very interesting and gave me deeper insight on the use of art, medicine and technology coming together. Earlier this year, I had a stress fracture in one of my toes and had to get an MRI as a result. Professor Vesna speaks of x-rays, MRIs, etc. as something that "arouses great scientific interest" and is also seen as a form of art to some. I remember when the doctor first showed me my MRI result, and the detail and intricacy of what lies beneath the skin of a foot actually amused me. These new medical devices that are part of the medical world now are indeed forms of art.

Another form of body and art is plastic surgery. Many people seek plastic surgeons in order to enhance some aspect of their body to their liking. Many cosmetic surgeons sculpt, repair, and enhance what is already naturally there ("Is Cosmetic Surgery..."). So deductively, cosmetic surgery and art go hand in hand as the surgeon has to have similar traits as any other artist including tentative skills and focusing for long periods of time. There are also people out there who modify their body to look like something that is not human.

Artists also create bodily art in order to appeal to many enthusiasts out there. Andres Serrano takes this to extreme. Although it may be disturbing to some, others find great interest and artistic quality in his works such as his "blood and semen" works. I find this very interesting as it uses something many find gross and molds it into art. (link below)



“Is Cosmetic Surgery a Science or an Art?” Galanis Plastic Surgery, 5 Oct. 2017, www.galanisplasticsurgery.com/blog/cosmetic-surgery-science-art/.
Vesna, Victoria. “Http://www.youtube.com/v/Ep0M2bOM9Tk.” Lecture. Medicine pt1 . Youtube, 21 Apr. 2012. Web. 25 Oct. 2012. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep0M2bOM9Tk>.
Vesna, Victoria. “Http://www.youtube.com/v/FIX-9mXd3Y4.” Lecture. Medicine pt3. Youtube, 22 Apr. 2012. Web. 25 Oct. 2012. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIX-9mXd3Y4>.
Vesna, Victoria. “Http://www.youtube.com/v/psjnQarHOqQ.” Lecture. Medicine pt2 . Youtube, 21 Apr. 2012. Web. 25 Oct. 2012. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psjnQarHOqQ>.

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was really interesting that you noticed your MRI image of your stress fracture as artistic and amusing.I also saw the connection with medicine and art through plastic surgery and found your discussion of this really insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I get further into the curriculum bioengineering offers, I'm learning more about X-rays, MRIs, CT scans, etc and how they work, so the possible ways to use them in art also becomes more apparent. A simple google of any of these imaging techniques followed by "art" yields very interesting results. I took a course last quarter where I learned about the principles behind how an MRI works and the huge spectrum of applications it has. I've always had a fascination with the mind and MRIs have now made it possible for us to view it in its entirety, and for me, I think that's art. In addition, I had forgotten about Andres Serrano's work (I had seen it before), so even though I'm very grossed out, it does evoke feeling, and I think that's the most important thing art can do.

    ReplyDelete